WACSSO Centenary 2021
In 2021 WACSSO celebrates its 100th year!
Founded in 1921, WACSSO has been partnering with parents and carers in public education across Western Australia to improve the outcomes of students in government schools – because we believe every student should have access to the best education possible. For 100 years, we have provided representation for WA Parents and Citizens' Associations (P&Cs), emphasizing the important role parents and school communities play in a child's education.
This year, we celebrate, commemorate and acknowledge our centenary with a series of events and activities, culminating in WACSSO Annual Conference, that aim to:
- Increase understanding of the importance of parents as children’s first educators and in their child’s ongoing educational journey.
- Broaden understanding of the function of both WACSSO and P&Cs in the public education sphere.
- Recognise the work of the WACSSO State Council.
- Bring awareness to the significant financial and human resourcing value that P&C Associations contribute to Western Australian public schools.
- Highlight important issues and milestones over time to celebrate them and provide context and understanding to the significance of our advocacy work today.
- Provide an interesting historical look into parents in education in Western Australia throughout the past century.
How are we celebrating our Centenary?
With our P&Cs we will be marking our centenary with many exciting and meaningful activities, including:
- P&C Day with a centenary focus on Friday, 23 July
- A special centenary themed WACSSO Annual Conference on 21 & 22 August
- Dipping into history throughout the year with photos, interesting stories and anecdotes from P&Cs and Key WACSSO people – P&Cs we will be asking you!
- Seeking opportunities for the work of P&Cs and parents in education to be highlighted in the media
- A look at some powerful and interesting parent-led education campaigns across history
- Plenty of nostalgia and fun on social media
- A centenary focus in each issue of P&C Voice
- Special interviews with WACSSO personalities past and present
- And more to come! Watch this space